The photo you attach to your B1/B2 US visa application must meet specific criteria regarding size, lighting, and content in order to be accepted. Applicants who submit photographs that do not meet the criteria exactly may experience delay, or even rejection in their visa application.
Read our expert recommendations to ensure a smooth B1/B2 visa application process and increase your chances of your request being approved.
What Are the Photo Requirements for a US Visa or EVUS?
Your US visa photos must have the following technical specifications:
- Your photograph must be taken in such a way that your head measures between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or take up between 50% and 69% of the image's total height from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head, including your hair
- The height of your eyes, measured from the bottom of the photograph to the level of your eyes, must be between 55% and 70% - or roughly 2/3 - of the picture’s height
Make sure to verify whether you are required to enroll in EVUS prior to your trip to the USA.
If you already have a B1/B2 visa and are enrolling with EVUS, you may be wondering whether you will need to provide a new photograph different from the one you submitted for the visa application while registering for EVUS.
Travelers enrolling in EVUS will not be required to submit a photograph or fingerprints. The EVUS visa update only requires the foreign national to answer a series of questions about themselves, their background, employment and travel history as well as destination of their future scheduled visits.
Digital Photo Requirements and Specifications for US Visa Application
The digital image must adhere to the following guidelines:
- In order for your photo to be suitable it must be taken in full color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB color space
- Acceptable visa application photos must not have been edited using software that may alter your appearance
- Your image must be in JPEG file format
- Your image must have a square shape
- The file size of your visa application photo must be less than or equal to 240 kB (kilobytes)
- Should your image need to be compressed in order for it to be under the maximum file size, the compression ratio should be less than or equal to 20:1
- The minimum dimensions for digital images are 600 pixels x 600 pixels
- The maximum dimensions for digital images are 1200 pixels x 1200 pixels
Additionally, the pictures must comply with the following requirements in relation to the applicant:
- Your photo must be taken less than 6 months prior to your visa application so that it reflects your current appearance
- Your picture must be taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- There must be no shadows cast upon your face
- You must have a neutral facial expression
- You must have both eyes open in your visa application photograph
- You may not wear eyeglasses in your picture, except for special circumstances in which your healthcare practitioner or medical doctor has issued a signed statement whereas you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons (for example right after ocular surgery)
- In the aforementioned case:
- The frames of your eyeglasses must not cover your eyes
- There must not be any glare on the eyeglasses
- There must not be any shadows or reflections that make the eyeglasses obscure your eyes
- You should wear clothing that you normally wear every day, however, you may not wear a uniform in your visa application image
- If you wear religious clothing on a daily basis, you may do so in your visa application picture
- You may not wear earphones, headphones, wireless hands-free devices in your photo
- If you normally wear a hearing device or hearing aid, you may keep it on when taking your photograph
- You cannot wear hats, caps, or any other headgear
- If your headdress is worn daily for religious purposes, you may keep it on for your picture so long as it does not cast any shadows on your face, and your face is fully visible, including your hairline
Citizens renewing a previous visa may not submit the same photo that appeared on their old visa. If an applicant’s picture does not meet the aforementioned requirements, they will likely be required to submit a new photo before their visa is processed, even if the visa application system had originally accepted it as a digital photo upload.
Can I Use a Passport Photo for the B1/B2 US Visa?
Foreign nationals that already have a physical photo which meets the requirements explained above may scan it so that it meets the following specifications:
- The photo dimensions must be of 2×2 inches (51×51 mm)
- The resolution of the scanned photo must be 300 pixels per inch (ppi) or 12 pixels per millimeter (ppm)
Applicants are reminded that photos may not be copied or digitally scanned from the citizen’s driver’s license nor other official documents. Snapshots, magazine photos, low quality photographs taken in vending machines or using a mobile phone camera, as well as full-length photographs are not acceptable either.
Make sure to contact the embassy or consulate where your interview will take place in order to ask whether you are required to bring a printed photograph to the interview as this may vary from one embassy to another.