How long can a Chinese citizen stay in the United States?

How long can a Chinese citizen stay in the United States?

The length of stay in the United States is directly linked to the kind of visa the person holds in their passport. Those chinese nationals who hold a B1, B2 or a combined B1/B2 visa are allowed to stay for a maximum period of 90 days.

Note that B category visas are visas that are granted under general business and tourist travel to the United States. To find out which type of visitor visa you have, you can check the upper right-hand of your visa.

If as a chinese national you are not travelling for business or leisure and are seeking permanent residency, other conditions apply. The length of stay cannot be determined as it will be granted on different regulations.

The U.S. and Chinese governments came to an agreement to improve travel for citizens of both countries. This reciprocal arrangement made it mandatory to enroll in a new system called Electronic Visa Update or also referred to as EVUS. This online program requires that all chinese nationals who wish to visit the United States and have a valid category B visa sign up before their departure date.

The EVUS is a fairly simple program that can be filled out in a matter of minutes. The program is designed to store biographical data of those individuals who are traveling to the United States and are chinese citizens.

Apply for EVUS

Before you Enter the United States

As a chinese citizen traveling to the United States before you enroll in the EVUS you should have applied and received a visitor visa. There are several steps to apply for a visitor visa to the U.S. Those people who hold a People’s Republic of China passport should consult their U.S. Embassy or consulate requisites. As a general rule, all applicants have to complete the Form DS-160 and provide a photo that has specific guidelines. An interview is likely to be expected for the completion of this process.

The visitor B1, B2 or a combination of the two is granted for a period of 10 years. This does not mean however, that you can stay in the United States for ten years. It means that your visa is valid for a period of 10 years.

Once you have a visitor visa to the U.S. you should enroll in the EVUS to complete the requirements to enter the United States. Those people who do not enroll with the EVUS will be denied entry upon arrival. Enrollment is a simple enough process that does not take longer than 20 minutes and it is valid for two consecutive years, as long as your passport and american visitor visa are valid. Those citizens who have an expired passport should renew the passport before they enroll with the EVUS.

The EVUS is currently a mandatory requisite for Chinese citizens. However, the program is probably going to be extended to other countries like Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela and others.

Previous Post Next Post

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree